Saturday, August 4, 2018

Progress, August 2018




There can be lengthy periods of inactivity, then a flurry of “trade” falls more or less together. Following the selection of both my stories with Compelling for their first hardback print anthology a couple of days ago, today I scored another double.

Lovecraftiana picked up my comedy-horror The Forgotten Supremo for their spring edition, bringing me to five stories with the magazine to date, and Alien Dimensions picked up my SF piece Innocuous but Lethal. This latter was first published about twenty years ago at the HMS Beagle website run by Elsevier Scientific, an outlet which has not existed in well over a decade. They published short fiction highlighting the biological sciences and I was happy to oblige with this xenobiological short. They asked for 1500 words, but in an expansive mood asked me to double the length for an action conclusion. Here's a screen shot from The Submission Grinder  as you can see, they were both very quick turnarounds!



Both pieces will be coming out in the next couple of months, watch for covers and purchase links as soon as they come available.

I have a story at second-tier consideration with Heroic Fantasy Quarterly, the sword-and-planet adventure “Tymass by Ring-Light,” so here’s hoping the gods smile.

Also, Galaxy’s Edge have had some problems with their direct submission engine (having recently changed from submission by invitation only) and today I was able to remake a submission which had gone missing, so fingers crossed there. And Alban Lake are moving ahead on preparation of my stand-alone paranormal novella The Last Train to Deakin Valley, so watch out for news of this one soon.


UPDATE

A couple of days after this post went up, I scored an extra placement, my short story Rebirth was acquired by Compelling Science Fiction to appear in a special promotional edition (number “11.5”) as a sweetener on the Kickstarter campaign for the anthology mentioned in the previous post. This is a great honour, and my third placement with the magazine!

And at mid-month, my hard SF short "Walking on Titan" was short-listed at Aurealis, I should know something in a few weeks -- fingers crossed this will be my second spot with the magazine.

Cheers, Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment