Thursday, September 13, 2018

The Allure of Nice, Round Numbers



A couple of days ago my writing campaign passed a milestone, its 1000th submission. A thousand submissions since January 7th 2016, resulting in 62 acceptances to date, with currently 66 active submissions in play… Any way you look at it, that’s a lot! I would have to say, when I started I had no real conception of where it would go or how it would unfold, I just hoped for the best and proceeded in the belief that a breakthrough was possible. Even now, every single day, I log on with undimmed enthusiasm, looking for that next acceptance, but, far more often, taking a rejection and turning it around to another market in the firm conviction it’ll cross the desk of the editor who appreciates and wants it sooner or later.

It’s cause to celebrate, and the white mudcake went down very well. So, is it a reason to rest on my laurels? Well, no, those laurels are pretty thin even now, and only unremitting effort makes headway. I opened a second submissions results file as the master list is unwieldy enough at 1000 entries, and will continue as before. My next round of submissions are lined up, some titles reading as of September 15th, so I’ll keep the pressure on – it’s become a way of life, really.

I have seven short-listings in play, probably my personal best, and a couple of submissions which are in very strong positions to turn into placements next year. With September being the heavy month for grading university papers I’ve not written a word in too long, but when I get back to it, I have some new material in notes to proceed with.

So, raising a glass to all future prospects, here’s to the future, may she be sweet, and may the next thousand submissions bring even greater success than the last!

Cheers, Mike Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment